Interviewee: Grace Easthorpe
Edited by Holly Barr
Leeds Beckett Women’s Lacrosse Team let us into the world of lacrosse and their team…
- Tell us a bit about your Team.
My team is Women’s Lacrosse; there are approximately 50 members (some social and some players or both). We have a 1st and 2nd competitive teams. We are constantly growing; many people try it for the first time at university and all really enjoy the sport. In recent years we have had excellent coaching from within the club and from alumni, which has helped the teams to have really successful seasons. This season our 1st team won the BUCS northern conference cup and won the league gaining promotion. The second team is made up of mostly girls that started this season but have excelled and won their fresher tournament. We work closely with the men’s lacrosse club for social and competitive games of mixed lacrosse, this year we won a mixed tournament.
- How did you get into the sport?
Personally I started playing in school and then at seeked out the club when I got to university.
- How do you think being part of a sports team has changed your university experience?
100% my university experience would be so different if it wasn’t for sport. Lacrosse has given me another family and a group of people I can always count on. It has also given me such fun times at training, games and tournaments, weekends away and loads of memories I will never forget! Being on a sports team at university is a must!
- How would you advise someone interested in trying the sport for the first time?
Just go for it!! Nothing to loose but so so much to gain!!!
- What has been the best accomplishment for your team so far this year?
This year our 2nd team was re-instated but I think the 1st team being cup winners was the best moment! We couldn’t have done it without the support of our second team so really it was an achievement for everyone.
- How do you deal with multiple members at training?
The more people the better! Lacrosse teams are 12-sided minimum so more the better.
- If a key player is not attending training sessions, how do you deal with this?
This doesn’t affect us as we are an inclusive team and ensure that there are enough skilled players at all times to cater for all levels of skills and ability and for everyone to still have a productive session.
- If you had to choose, what is your biggest weakness or your teams’ biggest weakness?
There isnt one!
- What do you believe is key in creating a winning team?
Friendships, enthusiasm, and passion to win
- If you had to sum up your team in 3 words what would you decide?
Amazing! Crazy! Fun!
Current Team Profile:
1st Team: Northern 2B 1st Place
2nd Team: Northern 3B 7th Place